Friday, October 10, 2014

What do you see as the Utah State Board of Education's role in working with local school boards and the Utah State Legislature? (Question from Utahans for Public Schools)

The State Board of Education must work with the local school boards because it is vital to the success of education in Utah. I have been attending as many school community council meetings, PTA meetings, and board meetings as possible during the last few months. My purpose for attending these meetings is to listen and learn the unique needs of the schools in north Utah County so that I can better represent and serve them.  I plan on continuing this practice though out my term on the State Board of Education.


Article X of the Utah constitution says that “the Legislature shall provide for the establishment and maintenance of the state’s education system… The general control and supervision of the public education system shall be vested in the State Board of Education.” The state legislature and the state school board need to work together in order for both parties to fulfill their constitutional obligations to the citizens of Utah.  I plan on working closely and developing relationships with the senators who represent the same geographical area that I would represent including Deidre Henderson seat #7, Mark Madsen seat #13, John Valentine  # 14, and in seat #15 either Emmanuel Kepas or Margaret Dayton.  I will also work with the elected representatives in seat #2, #6, #27, #56, #57, #59, #61 and #67. 

No comments:

Post a Comment